Thursday 9 June 2022

Trash Manor At The Beat-Herder Festival - Full tage Line Up Announced



Trash Manor - The home of rebels, punks and pioneers.

The Trash stage is my home from home when I'm in Beat-Herdershire. The area is run by a tight family of Northern misfits and artisans and they always make me feel welcome and one of the gang,

If someone had told my 17 year old self that one day I'd be on the same flyer as that top line I'd have thought they were winding me up.

In 1992 Justin Robertson released his first Lionrock 12" and this was quickly added to my growing collection. I went on to buy all of his releases and remixes for years. We went to see Justin DJing on many occasions in places like Cream and Voodoo in Liverpool, possibly The Orbit, and Sankey's plus another club I can't remember the name of in Manchester He was always great.

Ralph Lawson came a bit later. It's a bit hazy now but I know in 1996 I was listening to his Back To Basics: Cut The Crap mix incessantly and had just started buying his releases on his prolific 20:20 Vision label.

This all came together at the now legendary Back To Basics club night in Leeds. Justin Robertson would be tearing the roof off the the basement with some heavy weight Techno alongside the likes of Andy Weatherall and Slam's Stuart McMillan and Orde Meikle. Meanwhile Ralph Lawson would be DJing upstairs alongside Terry Farley playing the deeper more soulful side of House music. That time was truly inspirational for me and helped me develop the foundation of the electronic side of my music collection. 

I'll not go into the time that I (allegedly) drove straight over a roundabout one night on our way to Leeds. Or the time that I was faced with a herd of escaped sheep that were jamming up the country lanes in the early hours on our way back home. Or the time that I forgot to turn the kill switch back off after a fun night in Cream. I still feel bad about making my mates push the car halfway through Liverpool as I tried to bump start it - which obviously was never going to happen. We had to get a taxi to tow us home in the end and I only realised what had gone wrong the next day.

Greg Wilson has been DJing for the longest of the 3 of this year's Trash Manor headliners. Interestingly it's the sound that he was championing in the early 1980's that I have spent the last 10+ years learning about, collecting and playing. It was that proto-house vibe where disco and funk and modern soul became that bit more electronic as the (then) new boogie sound took hold with labels like Prelude and Leroy Burgess' output going onto be classics that still sound fresh today.


The Trash Manor All Stars and Trash Manor residents will be joining this year's headliners as they join the dots in between Kim Lana, Donna Leake, Dub Smugglers, and the Manchester based trio that is Rug Dug, Kickin Pigeon, and Annabel Fraser.

I will be playing on the Sunday Afternoon between 16:30 and 17:30.

Herd Em Up!


The Beat-Herder Festival takes place 14th-17th July 2022

The Beat-Herder Festival // Buy Tickets // Line Up // Stages // News